Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: OT: Use of LOW POWER Amps

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Use of LOW POWER Amps


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    In a past life I must have been a circuit geek. My father worked for Sperry Rand on the first Univac One and I grew up with schematics as place mats on the dining room table.

    I took some basic electronics courses in college and absolutely loved it. I could have played with circuits for the rest of my life, but alas, fate sent me in another direction. I definately feel like I missed out.

    That said, I wish I knew more. I wish I had the time to learn. Even with my relative newcomer status in this hobby, it hasn't taken me long to see that the audio field is completely saturated with misinformation, opposing opinions and overpriced, over-rated products. Sorting through it is quite a challenge. But you have to eventually hitch you wagon to a horse and run with it. I don't know much about how amps work, but I definately know what I like and I have come to really enjoy the OTL sound.

    I'd be happy to share circuitry, but I'm not sure what I'd have to share. I can send you the schematic for Bruce's 300B if you haven't seen it. I have his latest book.

    As far as the bi-amping, I'm going to try it. Two-way Altecs w/horns seem to beg for it. I have a Behringer 2496 active XO so I can tweak things a bit. I think I can even adjust delay. Having that much control could be dangerous, but I have a pretty good ear and know what I'm listening for. If it doesn't work I can go back to either the 15Wer by itself, or use the 300Bs alone or build one of yours
    Last edited by alancohen; January 23rd, 2013 at 06:58 PM.

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    For a moment I thought I had logged into the HELS Asylum.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Shouldn't a speaker determine how fast an amp sounds? The higher the Fs the quicker they sound?
    No, it's a function of its slew rate. No, it's determined by its high frequency response pass-band.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Use of LOW POWER Amps


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    Man I love this board. Geek paradise!
    - Mike

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    Last edited by mah; January 23rd, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    alancohen, I think you would benefit from an understanding of the physics of loudspeaker operation. Your '95dB to zero' statement demonstrates your lack of knowledge. This is not a 'put-down' but a reminder that what is stated on a public forum may be found wanting.
    Last edited by mah; January 24th, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member 604man's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 13th, 2009
    Posts
    117
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    Check out this article on inverted tube operation, SE OtL from Steve Bench..

    Inverted Tube Operation

    ...........................GC

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    More relevant to the off-topic diversion into SE amp 'design' than the original topic.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member
    OT: Use of LOW POWER Amps


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    More relevant to the off-topic diversion into SE amp 'design' than the original topic.
    Really? I thought the original topic was about the use of low powered amps. Certainly 604man's comment about relatively low power SE OTLs is clearly on topic.

    However, your suggestion that I might "benefit from an understanding of the physics of loudspeaker operation" is clearly off topic. Just sayin'.

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Use of LOW POWER Amps

    You only read the heading but missed the qualifier in the OP, i.e. "Here is an easy to read article that covers the subject reasonably well: Speaker Sensitivity, Dynamic Range, and Amplifier Output | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile "

    Amplifier type, class or design is not the topic. Getting an appropriate match between amplifier power, speaker sensitivity, listening distance and environment is what it is about.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.